Monday, November 8, 2010

More Brave

Because I am a mother, I am automatically a different person.  I don't know how it happens, but I know the change actually reverses when I am not around my kids.  For example:  When I am home alone, I am likely to lock myself in my bedroom because I am worried that there might be a man prowling through the house at any given time.  However, when the kids are asleep in their beds, I NEVER think about things like that.  I walk around my house in the pitch black dark without a single fear ever entering my mind.  Also, whenever I have to get blood drawn I get nervous, my heart pounds, I talk too much, I can't bear to look at the needle, and I am very close to acting like a baby.  But last week I brought my kids with me for my maternity check up and my midwife drew some blood for the glucose test.  They were right there in the room with us and when she got the needle out it was as if she had pulled out a pen to take notes with, or something equally as boring.  I really didn't care.  I watched the entire thing, and it didn't hurt, didn't bother me a bit.  She even had to fish for the vein that rolled. She might as well have been taking my temperature.  And this all happening with my kids watching.  So I suppose my kids make me a more brave, more confident person and this without any deep self analysis or applied parenting theories.  I have to be a strong foundation for them in a scary world, as so I am.  That is that.  And yet it seems a miracle.

PS We have had a great fall. 

No comments: