Thursday, October 8, 2009

What a Day (with a photo bonus)

We closed on our new house today. It is a strange feeling, a good feeling, but also a panicky one, for me. All that debt! Ahhh! Moving in will offset all of that. I can't wait. I can tell we are going to be very happy there and that is what makes owning a house feel so good. Crafting from a house, a home, traditions, values. What does our home purchase reflect about our values? A lot, I think. We have chosen a home with a yard made for exploring and rooms made for sharing. We will be close together when we are inside, with plenty of room to roam when we are outside. That just feel right.
( I am posting a few random photos from the other day but they have nothing to do with this post, by the way.)
I am excited to move into our new house but depressed thinking about moving our of my Mom's. I LOVE it here. I spent a couple decades trying to become independent of my parents. I've grown a little older, more sure of who I am. I don't have anything to prove anymore. As a result, I just bask in the comfortable feeling of being with my mom all day. She loves me, loves my kids, helps me in a million countless ways throughout the day. I have not been lonely once since I have lived here (full-time moms don't talk about it much but I think loneliness is one of the hardest things about being home with little ones.) As a result, I am less demanding on Dillon for him to immediately chip in when he walks through the door, nor do I have to unload on him, because my mom is a ready ear any time.
Not to mention the benefits for my little ones. I love sending the kids to play out back and never worrying once about someone snatching them away. I love that they help feed the chickens and pigs. I love that they have two extra people to hug and kiss at night. Thank you mom, thank you Dean for letting us into your home these short months.
Alas, I know that adult kids who hang around their parent's house aren't taking responsibility for their own lives. We need our own household. We need to rely upon each other more. I have to figure out a way to combat my own loneliness, laziness (there, I said it).
No, she is not crying a black tear, Isaac just got her with a marker a few minutes before. Ah well, it's part of the memory.


Yes, today was a big day. We signed on our house, but that is not all. A new cousin was born on Dillon's side. I can't wait to meet him. Congratulations on beautiful Benjamin. I'll post photos when I can. Also, my sweet sister Beth found out she is having her fourth girl! Such a sweet little family. Beth and Chris will do an awesome job with their girly bunch. Last, Mom's pigs were butchered today. An old friend came and cut up the meat right in the living room. Not life changing, but definitely memorable. My nephew Cameron took home an entire pig head as a souvenir, including the eyeballs. Whew, what a lot for one day huh?
I know that most of these photos are kinda somber. Eve is actually crying in hers. I could have posted one of her laughing but I don't want to forget any of her moods. I've never seen brown eyes that pierce like Isaac's do when he gives you that no quite glowering look. And Elijah. well I couldn't be more proud of that boy, the way he plays with and takes care of his bro and sis. I hope he knows that.




5 comments:

haley said...

love the post! your kids are beautiful! congrats on the new house. you should post pics of it when you get the chance. oh, and thanks for saying Mitchell looks like me. love hearing that!

Mimi said...

It will be sad for you to leave the comfort and convenience of your mom's house! BUT- you get ME!!! Marvelous, Fabulous ME. Just kidding...I'm really not that exciting. We will have fun though. We can take walks, and let the kids go wild in your extremely fabulous back yard!!

It would be difficult to leave home- I totally wouldn't want to go either. It's probably a good thing we moved here or I would have purchased the house right next to my mom.

All good news- babies, houses, pigs... although I am a little disturbed that Camo took a whole pig head home! What on earth is he going to do with it? eye balls? really? eye balls? I guess it might come in handy for Halloween. eeeeewwwwww!

Mark said...

Dillon,
The family is looking good. Anne, your blog is excellent, I really like your style. Dillon said that sometime after Halloween, but before Thanksgiving you can pencil us in to come visit us on the farm. I can't believe it has been so long since we've seen you. We've got a lot of catching up to do. Check out Jill's blog (polkiedots.blogspot.com)when you get a chance

Cheralyn said...

Hey I am glad to see you posting again. Stressful times I know moving into a house and having to unpack and figure out where you want to put it all. Definitely feel you on the lonliness thing and being lazy.. We definitley need to get together more and we do have phones so we should use them. Your kids are growing so fast before you know it they will all be in school and you won't know what to do with your day (I can't wait for that day). Thanks for the post!

Beth said...

I love reading your posts. I am so excited for you and your family and your new house. How fun. Your little kids are so darling. You are so positive and a great person to be around. I love you!