Friday, November 28, 2008

Eve Arabella Rose Eugenio


Our cute little turkey was born on Thanksgiving at 9:00pm on the dot. She weighs 9lbs 2 ozs, (and I thought she was going to be tiny), is 21 inches long, and was hungry the minute she was born. I am holding her now and she is looking around peacefully at her new world. She is very awake and aware and I think she looks just about perfect.

We have named her Eve for the mother of all living, probably the best example there is of a person who chose the harder path because she knew it was the better path. Arabella means "answer to a prayer" or "proud lion." It comes from the family tree on my Grandma Hallmeyer's side. She was born to a prominent family, the Dawsons, in Ireland in about 1694. Her family was the steward of a city that was later named after them: Castledawson, Ireland. We will have to make a trip over there someday and see what has happened to the ruins of their castle. And finally, Rose is for Dillon's Grandma who lives in Hawaii. A lighthearted storyteller who draws a crowd with the twinkle in her eye. We hope that Eve will come to understand the origins of her names and be inspired by them as she lives her life.

Amazingly, I labored all day without any intense pain. I wanted my water to break on its own and let things progress naturally. However, even though I was dilated to a nine for hours and took a caster oil shake and tried every other natural method of progressing labor, I couldn't get any strong contractions to bring baby down. When I finally worked up the courage, around 8:30, I had the midwife break my water. Things progressed even more quickly then I thought they would. I was ready to push within seconds. I quickly got into the giant tub at the birthing center and Eve was born a few minutes later under water and face up (which is one of the hardest ways to birth a baby, I am told). I caught her myself, lifted her up and held her. She looked wonderful and gave a good cry right away. It was beautiful.

Dillon's only complaint was that he had remembered everything I needed and brought nothing for himself. No food, no clothes, no toothbrush, no nothing. He had a pepperoni stick and dintymoore stew from the gas station for his Thanksgiving dinner. Really, though, he loved the experience, and can't stop talking about how amazing it all was. I'll let him post the next one and tell you about his perspective.

13 comments:

natalie said...

She's beautiful, Anne (& Dillon, I guess you contributed too)...congratulations!

Jennifer said...

She is breathtaking, Anne! Congratulations to your family on the beautiful new addition! You guys make gorgeous babies! Let me know if I can do anything to help!
~Jennifer

Sandra Dubreuil said...

She is just gorgeous! Glad you and her are doing well:) Best of luck with your new cute addition!

Rebecca Pierce said...

Gosh, is this blog private? I subscribe to all the blogs in my list, but your posts haven't shown up! Anyway, I love how perfect the labor and delivery was, congrats on your out of hospital experience, it is such a good way to go if all is normal. SHE IS BEAUTIFUL, and totally worthy of such a lovely, well thought out name. You are an excellent writer and we should talk soon about starting a writing group with some other such talented peeps. Anyway, talk to you soon!

Shila said...

Wow! She's here! She is so cute and has her own little girly look! When are you going home? Can we come visit you at the clinic there? Or would you rather let us know when you are good and settled at home? Hope to see you and her soon!

Mimi said...

Wow!!! What a perfect Thanksgiving! She is so beautiful! I can't wait to meet her.

Beth said...

Anne, she looks too darn beautiful to be new born. She is so alert, already 9 lbs. and has rolls on her legs. Wow! You are amazing. Your delivery sounds like it was incredible - in the tub, you caught her and no pain killer, yes you are amazing. When can we see her? How long are you at the clinic? I love that you wrote about her name. Congrats! Much love to ya!

Tammy and Chris said...

Congratulations!!!! We are soo happy for you guys. She is adorable and so is her name. We look forward in meeting her, and have a gift for her.

Sheri said...

Congratulations!! What a wonderful Thanksgiving! She is absolutely beautiful and I love her name!

Heather and Tim said...

Congratulations Anne and Dillon! Eve is sooo cute! I can't wait to visit you and get to see her up close. I love the names you have given her, they have so much meaning and history. She will love learning about it all, I'm sure! Take care and see you soon!

John Boy said...

Love her. She looks so good for a new born. She could be a couple weeks old! We are so happy for you guys.

Deana said...

She is beautiful!! I love how and why you chose her name. Can't wait to see her. We missed on Thanksgiving, but I guess you were a bit busy!! LOL. We love ya!!

Jilly Bean said...

Anne, Eve is beautiful! And your boys are too! Congratulations! I'm glad your midwife experience was such a good one. Poor Dillon, though, Dintymoore stew and a little beef jerky....say hi to him for me. Congrats again!