Our two-year-old, Isaac, had a fever-induced, or febrile seizure late Friday night. We prayed aloud desperately, called 911, and did everything we could to bring him back. Dillon had him in the bathtub but I had to leave the room to stand on the lawn waiting for emergency response people, I just couldn't stand seeing Isaac like that and so helpless to do anything. Things played out in slow motion. The firemen came and checked him out, gave us a few tips, and told us not to worry. They were right. After a near sleepless night of us watching over him, he awoke the next morning perfectly normal. He never did have any other symptoms.
For you parent out there, here are a few tips that the firemen gave me for when your child has a high fever and goes into convulsions (2-4% of children):
Motrin works more quickly than Tylenol so use that first and then alternate between Motrin and Tylenol every two hours.
If you start with Tylenol you can double the first dose.
Instead of immersing the kid in water, us a spray bottle and spray them down. It is the evaporation that cools them and immersion in a bathtub prevents that.
After they cool down and are wet, prevent them from shivering because that will cause their body heat to shoot back up again. Get a dry towel and hold them close to your body.
I am not a medical professional, so use these at your own risk and discretion. everybody has to use disclaimers to cover their patooties these days!
3 comments:
Thats crazy. I am glad he is ok.
Anne, your kids are adorable! Glad to hear your little guy is okay. Thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog. I really appreciate it!
Sasha hit her head in the tub and passed out. Good thing I was right there. I dialed 911 in less time it takes to say it. Since that moment, she regularly performs breath holding, which looks just like a concussion. But these are harmless compared to the bath tub incident. And I didn't know I could scream like that. Glad everyone's ok now.
Post a Comment