Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Traditions and Snow!

On Saturday we went out to the Christmas tree farm, a tradition carried down from my childhood, with most of my side of the family and searched for the perfect tree. Didn't find it but the one we chose was very pretty. And there is my attempt at blogging humor.
Eli and I cut down the tree together.
Eve was bundled up snugly with Dillon.


Eli and Isaac insisted on pulling the wagon themselves. They are a lot stronger then I thought! Later we rode the Santa Train at Point Defiance. A new tradition but one of the best. I've never met a more jolly Santa. Not like those grumpy mall guys! We decorated the tree later that evening and have played Christmas music all weekend. We decorated and ate sugar cookies and sat around a lot too, another great holiday activity.

And today it snowed! Even though we only got a quarter inch, we rushed out to play in it because this could be all we ever get!



Today I asked Eli if he wanted to make a snow angel. He said, "sure," laid down and swept his arms and legs through the icy snow into a perfect angel. I was shocked! How did he know how to do that? I didn't teach him, he doesn't go to school yet, it wasn't in any book I had read. Must be the power of television. Was it the Backyardigans? Wubzy? a commercial? I guess I'll never know. Though I do feel a little robbed of sharing that magical discovery of angelic body prints, I am grateful that I didn't actually have to lay down in the snow myself. At some point in adulthood, it just becomes more fun to watch. Adult sized snow angels just don't hold the same wonder. And of course, I served hot chocolate after we came in. A tradition I couldn't avoid if I wanted too. I drink it as often as possible anyway.




2 comments:

grandpa vern said...

Hi Annie, It's fun to read your blog. You're building lots of wonderful traditions in your sweet young family. You have a great writing style. Fun sense of humor. Give the little one a hug for Grandpa. Carol and i really enjoyed our time with the kids the other night. Love Dad

Shila said...

Anne that was fun to go do all the traditional stuff with family. I love that Eli knew what to do, with making of the snow angel, what a smart boy!